The Netherlands eScience Center is looking for a financial manager (0,8 – 1,0 FTE per week) who combines pragmatism with strategic insight to join the eScience Center team.
Who are we?
The Netherlands eScience Center is the national centre for innovative software solutions in academic research. We aim to bridge the gap in knowledge and expertise between digital technologies on the one hand, and scientific and scholarly inquiry on the other. We create tools and digital methodologies that enable researchers across all disciplines to answer research questions, harnessing our unique blend of academic expertise and software development skills. We attach great importance to software quality and sustainability, and academic recognition of research software.
We stand for a research-focused, professional, collaborative, open and resourceful approach to everything we do, and we require that our staff identify with these eScience Center values. Our people reflect diversity in background, education, gender, nationality and ethnicity. Together, we form an inclusive group with a common drive.
What does your work look like?
As financial manager you understand the needs of a research-driven organization that has recently undergone a rapid growth. You are able to establish a solid financial framework on which the eScience Center can rely for the next five years. Supported by a team of two financial administrators, whom you will line manage, you will be in the lead of all financial processes at the eScience Center. You will act as the sparring partner for both the directors’ team and middle management, providing relevant financial management information as well as strategic insight into the financial development of the Center. You will ensure that all internal financial processes run smoothly, and you are responsible for setting up the annual budget and financial reports. Finally, you will ensure sound financial project management for all research projects at the Center.
Who are you?
You are an experienced professional in financial management with excellent people skills. Based on your experience in non-profit work environments (preferably academic), you are able to convincingly present strategic recommendations. Your skills in communicating in an open and friendly manner allows you to work successfully with your stakeholders. You can deliver reliable analyses based on complex data and are capable of taking ownership of the financial administration. Furthermore, you have:
- a solid financial background with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in financial control;
- demonstrable experience in leading a team;
- an academic degree (or equivalent portfolio) in an area relevant to financial control;
- knowledge of tax reporting, Dutch GAAP and academic research funding (e.g. NWO, H2020);
- knowledge of Exact Online and it is a preference if you also worked with AFAS (an implementation project will start shortly);
- experience with the financial aspects of a self-contained organization working mostly on projects;
- strong communication skills in Dutch and English;
- organizational skills, including the ability to manage a diverse workload;
- a focus on detail, accuracy, quality and integrity.
What do we offer?
- an opportunity to work in an organization at the forefront of cutting-edge international research;
- a chance to be part of a team of intelligent, collaborative and ambitious people with a passion for academic research;
- extensive opportunity to further develop your professional and personal capacities;
- salary scale 13, based on our Collective Labour Agreement (WVOI Cao-OI);
- excellent secondary benefits: travel and communication allowance, holiday allowance (8%), 42 holidays on full-time basis, a year-end bonus (8,33%), personal development budget, fitness plan, bicycle plan, the possibility to work part time and flexible work from home options and facilities;
- a possible benefit from significant government tax relief (30% ruling) for a set number of years for incoming international employees.
Want to join us?
Your application must contain a CV and a letter of motivation.
For more information about job opportunities at the eScience Center or about the hiring process, send an e-mail to .