The Netherlands eScience Center is the Dutch national center for the development and application of research software to advance academic research. We are convinced that research in every academic discipline can be improved by taking advantage of available digital technology.
We are looking for enthusiastic eScience Research Engineers specialized in back-end development.
As an eScience Research Engineer, you will operate in an agile team focused on developing high-quality web applications for science. In this position, you will work on several projects that deal with scientific data dissemination and visualization, with a strong focus on the communication aspects of research.
Our projects deal with many aspects of science. Currently, the team is developing a platform for the open comparison of scientific algorithms, developing a web-based system for the comparison of segmentation techniques in medical imaging, making a system for tracking and displaying human interaction in visual analytics, and starting on a project to dive into visual storytelling for the remote effects of climate change and their impact on Europe.
eScience is intrinsically a team effort. Your primary role within this team will be of technical expert, developing the required software together with our other developers. Additionally, there will be opportunities to work closely withboth researchers in academia and other eScience research engineers in- and outside the team and facilitate knowledge transfer between scientific disciplines.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated team player, comfortable with code reviews, pair programming and Agile/Scrum practices.
- Strong and demonstrable experience developing back-ends for web applications.
- Expertise in different programming languages and technologies (preferably Python, Node.js , REST/Webservices, Postgres, SQL, NoSQL, etc.)
- Preferably experience with Docker/Kubernetes and/or other containerization solutions.
- Experience with public cloud solutions (AWS, Google, Azure) is a bonus.
- You strongly believe in high code quality, automated testing, and other engineering best practices that ensure quality and enable continuous deployment.
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a comparable technical field.
- Good communication and writing skills in English.
What we offer
We offer a position at the eScience Center for a fixed period of 2 years within the collective agreement for Dutch Research Institutes (cao-OI). The candidate will be based at the Netherlands eScience Center in Amsterdam. Compensation is based on education and experience. Holiday pay amounts to an additional 8% of the gross salary,and we also offer a 13th month of salary as an end-of-year payment. Working part time is possible, but because of the focus on teamwork, the minimum is 32 hours a week.
The eScience Center offers flexible working conditions and an interesting and challenging position with additional options for personal development. You will work in an international team with an informal but creative and ambitious working environment. The main location is Amsterdam (Science Park). The eScience Center has an active diversity policy and seeks to hire persons with a background that is underrepresented at the eScience Center. We therefore especially encourage women and minorities to apply.
Interested in this position?
Are you interested in joining the eScience Center? Please send your application to email@example.com before April 1st, 2020.
Your application must include:
- A recent CV
- A motivation letter
- A code sample, preferably in a GitHub repository
- Any applicable references
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Maarten van Meersbergen, Senior eScience Research Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information can be found at www.esciencecenter.nl.