The Netherlands eScience Center invites researchers working in the Netherlands to submit proposals for research projects focused on innovative domain research questions that are very hard or even impossible to investigate without the use of (advanced) eScience technologies and software.
With the ASDI 2O2O call, the eScience Center aims to provide an impulse to all research endeavours in which the application of eScience tools and methodologies is relatively underdeveloped.
In this call the eScience Center distributes its efforts over four broad Discipline Areas:
- Environment & Sustainability, incl. a.o. agriculture & food, climate research, ecology, logistics, water management, etcetera.
- Humanities & Social Sciences, incl. a.o. anthropology, archaeology, criminology, history, linguistics, political science, psychology, law, etcetera.
- Life Sciences & eHealth, incl. a.o. bioinformatics, genetics, molecular biology, neuroscience, pharmacology, etcetera.
- Physics & Beyond, incl. a.o. advanced materials, physical chemistry, engineering & manufacturing, high-energy physics, etcetera.
From all these areas, the eScience Center welcomes proposals with significant data- and/or compute-intensive challenges at their heart. A competitive proposal aims to pursue innovative research directions in the discipline area of choice. The research must be driven by a clear set of research questions originating from the discipline area itself. Solving these questions is possible only by utilizing, combining or developing scalable, robust, and sustainable methods and tools for Optimized Data Handling, Big Data Analytics, Efficient Computing, or beyond.
A competitive proposal combines a clear, credible, and innovative research goal with a detailed description of the technological bottlenecks and roadblocks that prevent the research team (or the discipline area in general) from pursuing this goal. Based on these bottlenecks and roadblocks the proposal must specify all the requirements a technological (software) solution must adhere to for the research team to be able to make essential steps forward to realizing the stated research goal.
Who may apply?
Proposals can be submitted by researchers from any Dutch university or research institute affiliated with NWO or KNAW. Each proposal is to be formally submitted by a single named researcher (the ‘principal investigator’ or PI) on behalf of a team comprising researchers from one or more institutes.
For the full list of requirements, please download the full ASDI 2020 Call for Proposals document below.
What can be applied for?
A project grant may be requested for a maximum total in cash budget of k€253 and a minimum in-kind budget of 2.5 PYR (person years) from the eScience Center. The project duration must be between 30 and 42 months.
Typically (but not exclusively), the project budget will be as follows:
- 1 Postdoc position for the duration of 3.0 years.
- A maximum of k€15 for project-related equipment and software, and travel expenses.
- A minimum of 2.5 PYR in terms of support provided by eScience Research Software Engineers employed by the eScience Center.
When to apply
- The deadline for the submission of pre-proposals is Thursday 25 June 2020, 14:00 CET.
- The deadline for submission of full proposals is Thursday 22 October 2020, 14:00 CET.
For more information, please see the full ASDI Call for Proposal document below.
Instead of organizing a live online video streaming event, all relevant information for the ASDI 2020 call can be found here. This includes slide decks and an extensive, regularly updated Q&A document.
Please note: the Q&A document will be updated regularly so please make sure to visit the information page often.
If you have specific questions about this call for proposals and the assessment procedure, please contact:
- Tom van Rens MSc, Program Officer NWO
T: +31 (0)70 344 0509
For questions about the Netherlands eScience Center, or the eScience requirements for this call, please contact:
- Dr. Frank J. Seinstra, Program Director Netherlands eScience Center
T: +31 (0)20 460 4770
- Call for Proposals ASDI 2020
- Pre-Proposal Application Form ASDI 2020
- Pre-Proposal Application Guidelines ASDI 2020
- IP Policy Netherlands eScience Center
- Bijzondere voorwaarden eScience Center subsidies 2020
- Guidelines for Application Full Proposal ASDI 2020
- Appliciaton form Full Proposal ASDI 2020
Submit your proposal
Please submit your proposal using NWO’s electronic application system ISAAC: