The Netherlands eScience Center invites domain researchers and ICT researchers working in the Netherlands to apply for funding to address innovative compute-intensive and/or data-driven research problems.
This call for proposals aims to support research and development of innovative eScience technologies and software associated with optimized data handling, data analytics and efficient computing, driven by a demand from any specified Research Discipline (a scientific or scholarly domain selected by the research team itself).
Each project must focus on one of the following Technological Research Directions:
- Tools for Data Quality, Integration and Cleaning
- Virtual Research Environments: Infrastructure for ‘1000’ Experiments
- Platforms for Big & Complex Spatial Data
- Green Computing: Energy Efficiency in Research Computing
Projects awarded in this call typically will be led by either:
- a technology-oriented researcher from the selected Research Discipline, or
- a domain-oriented researcher from ICT science (i.e. a technical discipline such as data science or computer science). In this case, it Is required to include at least one co-applicant and team member from the selected Research Discipline.
For more information, please download the full eTEC 2020 Call for Proposals document below.
Who may apply?
Proposals can be submitted by researchers from any Dutch university or research institute affiliated with NWO or KNAW. Each proposal is to be formally submitted by a single named researcher (the ‘principal investigator’ or PI) on behalf of a team comprising researchers from one or more institutes.
For a complete list of requirements, please download the full eTEC 2020 Call for Proposals document below.
What can be applied for?
A project grant may be requested for a maximum total in cash budget of k€253 and a minimum in-kind budget of 2.5 PYR (person years) from the eScience Center. The project duration must be between 30 and 42 months.
Typically (but not exclusively), the project budget will be as follows:
- 1 Postdoc position for the duration of 3.0 years.
- A maximum of k€15 for project-related equipment and software, and travel expenses.
- A minimum of 2.5 PYR in terms of support provided by eScience Research Software Engineers employed by the eScience Center.
When to apply?
- The deadline for submission of pre-proposals is Thursday 25 June 2020, 14:00 CET.
- The deadline for submission of full proposals is Thursday 22 October 2020, 14:00 CET.
For more information, please see the full eTEC 2020 Call for Proposal document below.
Instead of organizing a live online video streaming event, all relevant information for the eTEC 2020 call can be found here. This includes slide decks and an extensive, regularly updated Q&A document.
Please note: the Q&A document will be updated regularly so please make sure to visit the information page often.
If you have specific questions about this call for proposals and the assessment procedure, please contact:
- Tom van Rens MSc, Program Officer NWO
T: +31 (0)70 344 0509
For questions about the Netherlands eScience Center, or the eScience requirements for this call, please contact:
- Dr. Frank J. Seinstra, Program Director Netherlands eScience Center
T: +31 (0)20 460 4770
- Call for Proposals eTEC 2020
- Pre-proposal Application Form eTEC 2020
- Pre-proposal Application Guidelines eTEC 2020
- IP Policy Netherlands eScience Center
- IP Rules Netherlands eScience Center
- Bijzondere voorwaarden eScience Center subsidies 2020
Submit your proposal
Please submit your proposal using NWO’s electronic application system ISAAC: