The Netherlands eScience Center is the Dutch national expertise center for the development and application of research software to advance academic research. We are convinced that research in every academic discipline can be improved by taking advantage of available digital technology. We take a multidisciplinary approach, combining our deep knowledge of both academic research and software development to help define and solve research challenges. We share our ideas and the tools we develop. Together with a wide range of partner organizations, we advance not just our research projects, but the state of academic research in general. Our activities are collaborative research projects with partners, dissemination of our expertise and coordination of eScience activities nationally and internationally. In this way we create an effective bridge between science and scholarly research and state-of-the-art digital technologies. We are looking for an enthusiastic:
Technology Lead “optimized data handling” (m/f)
The team of three Technology Leads are the eScience Center’s experts within their specific technological competence. They have a broad strategic view of their expertise and as such have an advisory role towards the director’s team of the eScience Center on related strategic topics. They develop and update the technological vision and strategy of the Center and promote this vision both internally and externally. They convert the technological strategy into a concrete work plan, and coordinate and oversee its execution. The Technology Leads are in close contact with the management team of the Center to be continuously aware of the expertise of the eScience research engineers and the technological needs within the various projects. Technology leads crucially also have an outside-in view. They recognize new developments in research and technologies, and they scout for digital technologies and methods outside the eScience Center. Also, they represent the eScience Center in (inter)national policy discussions. Finally, they take initiative and are involved in acquisition to strengthen the eScience Center expertise areas. The position of Technology Lead resorts under the Director of Technology.
The candidate holds a PhD and has shown experience in applying digital technologies in scientific and scholarly research. The technology lead can communicate easily and is interested in sharing knowledge and experience.
Main components of the position
• Develop and update the technological vision and strategy of the Center and promote this vision both internally and externally.
• Convert the technological strategy into a concrete work plan, and coordinate and oversee its execution.
• Recognize the demand for technical solutions in our eScience project portfolio;
• Scout for and recognize new technical developments nationally and internationally;
• Ensure developed methodologies, applications and software in the eScience Center are applied and available for reuse or further development potentially in different domains;
• Contribute to and possibly initiate acquisition of research proposals for the eScience Center’s research;
• Build and maintain a relevant network in order to acquire new partnerships.
• Academic level, with a PhD degree in computer or data science or equivalent experience;
• Broad experience with large-scale optimized data management;
• Excellence in one or more of the following topics: databases, data assimilation and integration, handling sensor data, linked data and semantics, real-time data analysis;
• Good software development skills, knowledge of software architecture;
• Technical project management experience;
• A drive to enthusiastically disseminate state-of-the-art digital technology to researchers and policy makers;
• Excellent research experience in academia or industry;
• Experience with writing grant proposals;
• Excellent command of English and Dutch (both verbal and written);
• A critical and constructive attitude to contribute actively to eScience infrastructure improvements;
• Motivated, flexible, creative, initiative taking, independent but also a real team player;
• Strong communication skills with an external orientation;
• Innovative: translate scientific questions into unconventional (technological) solutions and new ideas and also able to realize them;
• Networking nationally and internationally;
We offer a position at the eScience Center within the collective agreement for Research Institutes (CAO WVOI). Classification is based on education and experience with salary depending on qualifications and experience, starting from € 4.478,- up to € 6.243, - gross per month, based on a 38-hour working week (salary scales 12-13). Holiday pay amounts to 8% of gross salary actually received and a full 13th month of salary as an end-of-year payment.
The eScience Center offers an interesting and challenging position at the interface of science and digital technologies. You will work in an international team with an informal but creative and ambitious working environment. The location is Amsterdam (Science Park), but site work at the eScience Center collaborating organizations is an important part of your work and will involve travelling. The eScience Center has an active diversity policy and would like to hire persons with a background that is underrepresented at the eScience Center. We therefore encourage women and minorities to apply.
For more information about this opportunity, you can contact Rob van Nieuwpoort, Director of Technology, by emailing email@example.com or by calling +31(0)20- 4604770.
Please send your resume and application letter before April 1st to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information may also be found at www.esciencecenter.nl.